Wednesday 15 April 2009

Review: Superbad (Greg Mottola, 2007)

Very funny- destined to be a classic!

Seriously, I thought comedy films were failing as every comedy film I have seen lately has been far from it- then I saw this little gem. I expected (from the trailers) that it would an average high-school movie similar to something from a Nickelodeon/Disney Channel show- i was so wrong! A minute in and these kids are talking about stuff you'd expect from an adult comedy, cursing and swearing all the way- it just threw me off.

It is an adult comedy but the fact that it all happens at high-school with young kids is what gives it it's charm, and unlike American Pie it doesn't have to do severe silly/OTT/gross-out jokes to get it's laughs- it relies on expert performances, comic timing of the superb dialogue and brilliantly ironic situations- which ae all acted out with excellence. Rarely have i see everything work so great in tandem and laughed my ass off watching it.

The humour here is hilarious (some of the skits literally had me in stitches), it's just normal everyday dialogue but with added wit which makes it that much better. The performances were also fantastic- Jonah Hill really stole the show and has the skills of an accomplished comedian- at that age he should be proud because he makes professionals look bad. Christopher Mintz-Plasse is great too and Fogel is destined to become an iconic character. Also special kudos to Seth Rogen who is always a pleasure to watch, and to Micheal Cera who was brilliant in Juno and excellent in this.

All in all a really fun film, glad i saw it as i haven't laughed so much in ages- it gives me faith that amongst trash like Meet the Spartans and Chuck and Larry you have films like this that really know how to do things properly. The people behind 40Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and now Superbad really have got it on and I look forward to all their future projects! Good, honest entertainment. I loved it.

8/10

No comments: